Thursday, January 25, 2007

A message from a friend and sponsor


January 24, 2007

Dear Bell Island Mine Exploration Team:

Approximately a year ago Steve Lewis approached me about the "Mine Quest" project that he had begun working on in conjunction with one of our most successful Canadian facilities, Ocean Quest in Newfoundland and Labrador. While he was scribbling away on a piece of paper putting together a diagram of the mine and frantically talking about what he wanted to accomplish, I have to admit I was only half paying attention. (In my defense, I figured it was just another creative scheme for Steve to get out of the office for a few days -- he does that a lot.) Well last week when he pointed me to your blog site and showed me a list of the participants, I was blown away. This is truly a team of experts.

TDI has been a part of many exciting and successful expeditions in the past and I was more than happy to offer whatever we could to help with the success of this new project. The fact all of you are volunteering your time and expertise to a worthy cause such as this one is is definitely a noble act. Too often in our sport I hear stories of people getting hurt by venturing somewhere that has not been made “diver safe” or pushing the limits in some other related way. You all are making this mine safer for the next diver to explore, and for them to experience the underwater world – where we have chosen to spend most of our time.For that reason alone, you all deserve to be commended.

Now in order for me to keep up with where you are planning on going and what days you are planning to lay what line, I went searching through my desk for Steve’s scribbled diagram. Due to the fact I “did not run a line”, I am unable to locate it. Depending on how successful you are, I may have another project for you. Find the diagram in my desk. It will definitely require at least two teams and a wine steward; Interested Aaron.

Have fun and stay safe. We look forward to running a story on your success in an upcoming issue of Diving Adventure Magazine.

Sincerely,





Brian Carney

President, International Training

No comments: